PORTABLE SAWMILL PROGRAM
A state-of-the-art portable sawmill brought directly to your property to mill your logs to lumber on the spot
- Share information about the milling process of turning your logs into lumber
- Discuss and establish your goals for the project
- Provide our best recommendations based on your goals, whether it be for furniture, building/construction, etc.
- Share information about the drying process for your lumber
How does the program work?
- The Catskill Forest Association transports and sets up the sawmill on your property
- Your logs are then milled to your specifications. The goal is to turn wood on your property into usable lumber
- Pricing is based on the number of usable board feet – you only pay for what we cut
- We can mill almost anything, including some attractive non-commercial species such as apple, sycamore, white oak, and black walnut — we can even use wood from ash trees infected by the Emerald Ash borer as long as it is reasonably sound
- Your logs don’t have to be sawmill-quality logs, they can be lower grade, non-timber quality logs, e.g. decorative pieces.
- We can provide referrals for drying, or advice on drying on your own.
- Specs: we can accommodate logs up to 20 ft. in length and mill finished boards up to 26 in. wide (logs can be up to a 32 in. diameter prior to cutting off the slab wood).
- Desirable lumber is often cut from low-grade logs that can’t be sold commercially.