PORTABLE SAWMILL PROGRAM
A state-of-the-art portable sawmill brought directly to your property to mill your logs to lumber on the spot
Sometimes it seems wasteful to turn a fallen tree into firewood or let it rot in the woods. Or maybe a tree with sentimental value became hazardous and needs to be taken down. Or maybe you have another management goal in mind and would like to utilize some lumber for projects around the house. What better sentiment of that tree than to build a beautiful piece of furniture as pass it off as a family heirloom for generations. Or to build that garden shed out of trees that came from your property.
Whatever the reason might be, you can utilize your trees by milling them into lumber via CFA’s Portable Sawmill Program. We offer custom sawing you lumber, on site. We have a fully portable mill that we bring to you and can turn those logs into lumber. We have the ability to move those logs into place, mill them, and leave behind a neatly stacked pile of lumber ready for the next step of your project. We offer this program April – November. Call for details.
- Share information about the milling process of turning your logs into lumber
- Discuss and establish your goals for the project
- Provide our best recommendations based on your goals, whether it be for furniture, building/construction, etc.
- Share information about the drying process for your lumber
How does the program work?
- The Catskill Forest Association transports and sets up the sawmill on your property
- Your logs are then milled to your specifications. The goal is to turn wood on your property into usable lumber
- Pricing is based on the number of usable board feet – you only pay for what we cut
- We can mill almost anything, including some attractive non-commercial species such as apple, sycamore, white oak, and black walnut — we can even use wood from ash trees infected by the Emerald Ash borer as long as it is reasonably sound
- Your logs don’t have to be sawmill-quality logs, they can be lower grade, non-timber quality logs, e.g. decorative pieces.
- We can provide referrals for drying, or advice on drying on your own.
- Specs: we can accommodate logs up to 20 ft. in length and mill finished boards up to 26 in. wide (logs can be up to a 32 in. diameter prior to cutting off the slab wood).
- Desirable lumber is often cut from low-grade logs that can’t be sold commercially.